Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I love it when other people have bad days.

I really do. I think it's fantastic, and I am at my best when others are having terrible days. It sounds terrible, doesn't it? I am a terrible person! But not really. The reason why I love it when people have bad days is that I get the chance to try to make their days better!

Today at school, I found out that there was someone having a less-than-stellar day. I jokingly (but not really) said, "We should make him a giant card!" and the class kind of giggled. I told them that I was serious, and that we should do something nice for him to make him smile. Someone informed me that he loves doughnuts, and that his wife is a healthy eater, so the only time he gets to eat delicious, fattening, sugary treats is while he is at school. "Fantastic idea! We will get him some doughnuts!"

Since Dunkin wasn't close enough to the school, I skipped out to Krispy Kreme (why do they spell it with two "K"s? It is already alliterated with two "C"s when spelled correctly). I got three dozen doughnuts (for the price of two plus a $5 donation to help kids go to summer camp - score me and the kids!), and brought them back to class.

He wasn't in his office, of course, but the wonderful lady in the office next door to his was in, and told us that she would go find him. "I'll tell him that something is wrong and you are all upset!" Awesome. So, we scampered back to class and waited.

The door swung open, and the look on his face was pricelessly distraught. (Later, we found out that his face meant, "Not today.. please, not today.") We were all silent for a moment, and then I grabbed the boxes, set them on the table, and said, "Here is something to make your day sweeter!" (Cheesy, I know, but he loves cheesy, and I love cheese.... in more than one way...).

His day was sweeter after that. I saw him smile many times, and he even laughed! I never found out why he was having a bad day. I never asked. It doesn't matter to me why his day wasn't going well, it just mattered that it wasn't going well. There is really no better feeling than making someone smile.

"I love smiling! Smiling's my favorite!" -Buddy the Elf

I ate four doughnuts. So much for my diet today... Bring on the sugar headache!

Totally worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I love you too much. It hurts how much I love you. In fact, it hurts so much, that I may be having a bad day (I love cheesecake, by the way) ;). This blog made me smile because this is so true to who you are. You are so selfless and happy, it is very hard to be unhappy around you. Thanks for being you! DEER!

    ReplyDelete